My Top 5 West Side Story Songs

As you may know, I was in the pit band for our school production of West Side Story this year. I have had so much fun and obviously, I have learned most of the songs because I have to play them. I thought that I would give you an insight into my week by giving you my 5 favourite songs of the play, along with a bit of background information.

5. Gee, Officer Krupke
This song is very hard to play but it is so upbeat and funny to watch. It is all about the gang who have problems of their own but always get chucked off of the streets and have nowhere to go as a gang. The dance that goes along with it is so funny and the choice of characters for it was perfect.


4. Tonight Quintet
This song always makes me feel happy because, in the school version, it has all of my favourite people in. It is a very powerful song. It is set out so well and there are so many parts to it!

3. A Boy Like That and I Have A Love
In the play, this song is sung by Maria and Anita. Anita is telling Maria to stop being an idiot and stop seeing Tony. It is a beautiful song and the harmonies at the end are incredible.

2. Dance at the Gym + Mambo
These songs are so upbeat and the dances for this are so good! I love it when you get to shout "MAMBO" in the middle of the phrase!

1. America
Obviously, this song had to be included. It is a massive number and is one of the most well-known songs from West Side Story, if not the most well known. It's such a sassy song and it is so catchy The dances are so well choreographed as well!

I hope this gave you an idea of some of my favourite West Side Story songs and maybe even give you something to listen to!

Stay happy,
Katie xx

No comments :

Post a Comment