Thoughts on Education | May 2016

I know I haven't been around much, but revision has well and truly taken over. And it has got me thinking about a lot of things.

There are so many of us who do our best, revise as much as we can, but then we compare ourselves to others and automatically feel inadequate. "Oh no", we think, "I haven't done enough", "I am going to fail" and "What happens then?" I know that I have definitely felt this way over the last couple of months. People saying "You will be fine!", but you automatically think "No, I won't."

GCSEs are confusing, they are less about your knowledge and a lot more on your memory, which gives an advantage to those who can easily memorise and a disadvantage to those who cannot. For example, French GCSE. The idea is that you have 2 papers, a listening and a reading, 2 speaking tests and 2 writing tests. However, those speaking tests and writing tests are completely based on memory. I don't need to understand what I am saying or writing, as long as it makes sense and I remember it all.


It frustrates me because a lot of what we learn is not necessary for everyday life. Even things like learning phrases in French is not useful because half of them don't make sense when you are saying them to a French person. What is the point in that?

Also, the fact that we are now being encouraged to take subjects like sciences, maths, English and humanities. Ridiculous. What if I don't want to do that. My whole school life has been based on my music and no government is going to tell me to stop doing that and do something I don't want to study so that I get on in the world.

The whole education system, in Britain at least, has taken a turn for the worst. Why am I studying this? Why am I memorising this? If you think about it, I am making a lot of sense. But many people don't think so.

Also, what are you getting out of memorising the equation for the volume of a cylinder or the quotes from 'Of Mice and Men'? Nothing at all. It is completely pointless and unnecessary.

What do you think?

Stay happy,
Katie xx

No comments :

Post a Comment